Monday, November 27, 2006

Technique #1: Crumpled and sewn brown paper

Materials:

  • brown paper (from brown paper bag)
  • string, thread, or hemp
  • needle
  • pin, needle, or awl (to punch holes)
  • gesso
  • 2 colors of acrylic paint
  • metallic rub-ons or metallic stamp ink pad
Steps:

    1. Draw a simple design on a piece of brown paper
    2. Crumple paper 2 or 3 times
    3. Punch holes along the design
    4. Sew design
    5. Cover paper and string with a thin layer of gesso
    6. Once dry, paint over the gesso with one of your acrylic paints (I used Lumiere Supper Copper here)
    7. Once dry, paint over with another color and rub off some of it, so you can see the paint underneath (I used black)
    8. When the acrylic paint is dry, use some rub-ons or a stamp ink pad, and rub over the raised areas (string and some of the "hills" in the paper)

      These are two of my experiments. The one on the left is the one shown in the technique steps. The one on the right was my first experiment and it also includes dryer sheets (on the upper left and in the middle of the flower).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Marta! This looks like so much fun. I love the texture and the richness of the colors. What a fun page for me to study. Now if I can just find the time, I will try it! I have book marked this page so that I can come back for future reference. Your directions are well written. Thank you for sharing your art experience! Have a creative day! Pam McVay

CarolK said...

marta, i enjoyed looking at this technique and I really like your stamps. You have inspired me to work with texture more when i cut an eraser!!

Anonymous said...

Well Marta the technique is great the pics are super and love the ideas really nicely done!!!! I will bookmark your blog and add it to mine if that is ok??? if not let me know ok!! otherwise keep up the great art work and all and thanks so much for sharing and I too hope to find time to try it and play some!!! thanks !! Linda

Marta said...

Thank you all for the comments! I'm so glad you enjoyed the technique! If you get around to trying it, please share... I'd love to see what you come up with!

Linda, I'd be flattered if you add a link in your blog!

Anonymous said...

Marta, love this!!!! Your art is always wonderful and I'm glad you've decided to blog and share :-)